The Devil in the White City


The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America


The Devil in the White City
By Erik Larson

February 11, 2003
447 Pages

Geographic Setting: Chicago, IL
Time Period: 1890-1912
Subject Headings: White City, Chicago, murder, architecture
Type: Nonfiction, 364.1523
Series Notes: NA

Book Summary: Erik Larson takes readers back to the Chicago World’s Fair, beginning in 1890. He brings to life the challenges that takes place petitioning for the fair to be held in Chicago, planning the White City, and the intricacies of the fair. Not only was the Chicago World’s Fair an amazing event and spectacle for the United States and city of Chicago, but also a place of madness and mayhem. In the heart of the fair, an evil man lurks and plans for ways to torture innocent people. The text jumps from Daniel Hudson Burnham, the fair’s creator, and Henry H. Holmes, America’s first serial killer. Larson creates a time machine, transporting readers back to the glory of the White City and to H.H. Holmes house of horrors, where beauty and evil lie.

Reading Elements (taken from The Readers’ Advisory Guide to Nonfiction)
  • Narrative Content - The Devil in the White City does “read like a novel,” giving readers information, yet placing them into the story and timeline of the events taken place during the Chicago World’s Fair (Wyatt, 2007, pg. 24).
    • Story Line - Larson presents the reader with different time frames located within sections, allowing readers to go through the time periods and events slowly, understanding every detail up until the fair (Wyatt, 2007, pg. 24).
  • Detail - Larson provides readers with immense detail, “full explanation of ...graphic elements, charts, maps, indexes” (Wyatt, 2007, pg. 24). The architecture of all the main buildings is described so intricately, allowing readers to imagine what the White City truly looked like.
  • Pacing - The pace of the novel is “fast” and “leisurely” (Wyatt, 2007, pg. 24). Larson takes time to describe events, buildings, and other details, yet jumps from Burnham to Holmes’ perspective quickly, making readers desire for more explanation on both parts.
  • Characterization - Before jumping into the events, Larson describes his main characters and their adversaries with detail. Readers can not only depict what they look like but understand their character - their dreams, hopes, desires, history, and life’s pain.
  • Tone - Larson jumps from “lush and immersed” text to “dark and suspenseful,” navigating through the joy of building the White City to the grotesque horror of building The House of Horrors (Wyatt, 2007, pg. 25).  

1-3 Annotation
The Devil in the White City brings the majesty and magic of the Chicago World’s Fair to life. Larson creates an epic narrative, starring Daniel Hudson Burnham and Henry H. Holmes, two men who defined the fair in very different ways. From the creativity and intelligence of both men, Larson demonstrates the difference between innovation and madness.

Similar Works

Goodreads. (2018). The Devil in the White City. Retrieved from goodreads.com

Wyatt, Neal. (2007). The Readers’ Advisory Guide to Nonfiction. Chicago, American Library Association. File found on Canvas.

Comments

  1. I read this book a few years back and loved it. I like the books you choose as for your readalikes. I remember after reading this book we went to Chicago and I really wanted to go to Jackson Park to see where the worlds fair took place. I didn't make it they but I think it would be interesting to go and see even though there is nothing left. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I did a report on the Columbian Exposition for school in 8th grade and spent some time walking around Jackson Park. VERY different than what it used to be! It would be good to check it out some time!

      Delete
  2. This book is already on my 'to read' list. Your annotation is good and would have made me add it to my list if it wasn't there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Find time to read this! I read some of the book via audiobook, so that helped me get through it too. :)

      Delete
  3. I read this book quite a few years ago, and I've been thinking about rereading it. The story, taking place as it does during the Chicago World's Fair, is one which feels almost too fantastical to be real...but it is. I'm also interested in checking into your readalike about the women who inspired 'Chicago'. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel the same way. It just seems like something right out of a movie. As I was looking up the readalikes, that novel about the women who inspired Chicago definitely caught my eye too!

      Delete
  4. I've picked this book up multiple times for library work and never even realized it was non-fiction! The cover is just so arresting! I love your annotation for this, though: you did a great job of highlighting the ways that this is firmly grounded in the non-fiction genre, but you marketed the book in a way that made it something that sounds appealing...especially to this crime junkie. :P (Funny, I would pretty much never identify a crime-reader, but man do I love books like this!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Even though it talks a lot about the fair and its architecture, reading about H.H. Holmes was definitely keeping me read along!

      Delete
  5. Erik Larson is a master of writing non-fiction that feels like fiction. I think there were at least two books of his I read and didn't even realize they were non-fiction until about halfway through them. He's a master at the genre, and this sounds like another great book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously! It doesn't even feel like nonfiction sometimes. I love how he writes it in a narrative style. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Erik Larson's books are always some of my go-to's to recommend when I'm asked about nonfiction by people who say they don't read much. They've always sounded like the perfect blend of the pace and style of fiction and the facts of nonfiction--though I've never actually read one! I loved that this one was mentioned in the readings alongside The Alienistbecause I've just read that for my historical fiction annotation--and now I need to read this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great go-to books to choose for someone who is interested in historical accounts. Take some time to read it! I read some of it via audiobook in the car, which was so awesome! So, if you have a hard time gettign through these nonfictions - sometimes I do!! - that would be a great alternative. Thank you for your thoughts!

      Delete
  7. I've seen this checked many times at the library and wondered what it was about. I'm glad I know now. It sounds like a story I would like to read just to see what ends up happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is! Just to see how the fair turns out...and the story of H.H. Holmes...so interesting. Check it out when you have time! Thank you for your thoughts!

      Delete
  8. I had the same thoughts as Emma- I have often seen this book (including when I worked at Borders) and I never knew it was nonfiction until recently. A coworker of mine was telling me about this book and it sounds fascinating. The story of the first serial killer with the backdrop of the World's Fair seems like too much to be true. Based on my coworkers recommendation and your annotation, I have to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You worked at Borders?! Wow, I sure miss that store! This book has been around for a while..and was on my to-read list for a long time! Definitely take time to read it when you get a chance. Thanks so much for your thoughts!

      Delete
  9. Excellent job! I'm a huge fan of this book. Full points!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts