Week 13


Growing up, I always wanted to read the new young adult novel that my library would display. Being a child and too young for the novel, I would - of course - have to wait. As I grew older, I found that young adult novels were great pieces of literature. It definitely is geared towards the teenage population, but that doesn’t mean that only that age group can read it. Throughout my college career and some time after, I found many of my classmates and friends reading young adult novels for fun. I never thought that was strange, until learning more about the genre. Since we are adults, we obviously need to only read adult novels. Looking at this “New Study” article (cited in my previous book annotation), adults “report that 78% of the time they are purchasing books for their own reading” (2012). Twenty years ago, this was not a common occurrence. Reading styles are changing and that’s ok. However, that is why some of these genres - including YA literature - aren’t considered legitimate library material. Since this book genre is for the teenage population, libraries will always carry these types of books. I think libraries need to realize that more people read this genre than just the teen population. Marketing it throughout the library would be a good start.
Honestly, I have never heard of New Adult fiction until this class. I am sure I have read some of these books in the past but didn’t really understand there was a specific title for it. In the article, “What is New Adult Fiction?” Kristen Kieffer states, “New Adult is an emerging market that brings readers in their late teens and early twenties, who are all too often missing from the pages of both Young Adult and Adult books” (2017). This genre is specifically catered to adults who are emerging in the world. Since it is a relatively new genre, it can be difficult for librarians to reason that this is what the budget should be spent on. Our culture and society are changing drastically and it’s important that libraries understand that. Genres are changing. According to the modern American dream, children grow up, go to college, get married, and have a family. People are getting married later and have kids later. Because of this, my generation (Generation Z) is full of different people at unique stages in their lives. Some are married and have a family, while some are still trying to figure out what they want to do and want to be. They don’t necessarily fit into the YA category, so this New Adult fiction fits them perfectly. As our culture changes, so should the specialized areas in the library.
As for graphic novels, I totally understand that many people don’t think that they are “legitimate” novels. When I first got my job at a middle school, I felt that the choices of books that my students chose were different than the other English teacher. I felt that if I had a student do a book report on a graphic novel, I would be doing something wrong. Obviously, I need to understand what reading level the student is at and how the book report was to be done, but a graphic novel is a totally acceptable choice. They are books, just like any other. They are presented differently and student have to be taught how to read graphic novels. It isn’t easy just because it has pictures. Readers have to understand the flow and frames of the images and text. The pictures are what make graphic novels amazing and yet, that is their downfall. Many traditional readers believe that can’t substitute for a real book. Readers who struggle to comprehend and understand are perfect candidates for graphic novels. Graphic novels “promote literacy in a variety of ways. They attract and motivate kids to read” (2017, Grodzicki). However, I feel that is an easy way out of how graphic novels are so impactful. They tell stories in ways that a regular text-driven book cannot. Yes, it might be shorter than a usual book but that shouldn’t be why it isn’t a legitimate book. Graphic novels introduce readers to a different world entirely, created by the author/illustrator. The pictures don’t stop at just the book, but open a whole new world to the reader. Readers are able to picture the world and its characters beyond the pages. It shows that reading doesn’t just include text and imagination. It’s so much more than that. Graphic novels are increasing in number at libraries, but the stigma against it is still strong. In order to combat this stigma, libraries should continue ordering these books and educating its patrons. They shouldn’t just put posters around the library, but offer classes and information sessions about the types of books that patrons and their children can read. Graphic novels are for children AND adults. I love picking up a children’s or young adult graphic novel. They are entertaining, the artwork is fantastic, and the stories are just unique.

Librarians are the backbone and spirit of the library. They help promote the books and learning opportunities available. Just because books aren’t traditional or “legitimate,” doesn’t mean we shouldn’t want to promote their styles. Because our society and culture are changing rapidity, it’s important to have these types of books to serve our community. We need to read a new group of people and we shouldn’t be living in the past.

References
Grodzicki, Jenna. (2017, Jan. 3). But that’s not a real book! Retrieved from http://knowledgequest.aasl.org/thats-not-real-book-collections-include-graphic-novels/.
Kieffer, Kristen. (2017, Jul. 21) What is New Adult Fiction?” Retrieved at http://www.well-storied.com/blog/what-is-new-adult-fiction.

Comments

  1. I struggle with New Adult not as a genre to support or share, but due to my limited experience. The few New Adult books I've read tend to be mostly different from YA only in the amount of sex and steam in them. Which, honestly, is not something I'm looking for. But, I have made a list of NA books to try this summer to see if I can get a better understanding of them, because I want to be able to accurately lead people to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I haven't had much experience with this genre either, but I want to lead people to the right books in this genre!

      Delete
  2. Excellent prompt response! Full points!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts