Week 15

If I want to take this prompt literally, my fiction section takes up most of the space in my library and I am also an elementary/junior high school librarian. However, if I worked in a public library and had to market the fiction section, I would do things much differently.

The biggest problem I have seen in public libraries is the lack of direction and even reader’s advisory services. Sometimes, it becomes more difficult to ask the question than it is to get the information you want. As adults, we want the information now and with clarity. In order to market a library fiction section well, you will need proper signage, new displays continually, and easy access to computers.

All libraries have different kinds of signs to market their sections. It’s important that the signs are clear and lead patrons to the proper information. There should be signs showing the Adult Fiction section, Adult Non-Fiction section, along with the teen and children sections. As Saricks says in his marketing article that the library “should pursue and consider any options that make the library as comfortable as possible” ( 2005, pg. 137). These are easily overlooked by patrons. The signs for “new-release” and “recently returned” for the should also be clearly labeled. However, I think the signs shouldn’t stop there. It would be helpful to hang signs such as Find a Good Book Here, Info Station Access, and Reading Suggestions (Saricks, 2005, pg. 137). These types of signs go past the stereotypical sign of “Information” or “Help.” These invite readers to ask more questions and allow them to have the confidence to ask the questions they need. Also, I think more signs should be displayed for specific genres of fiction. If the library could go more into a “genrefication” organizational method, that would help these types of displays. I think the library needs more signs or promotional displays that showcase these different genres. Patrons should be exposed to different kinds of novels, not all of them lumped into one category. This helps spread diversity and promote that there is more than one type of book to enjoy, leading to my next point.

The biggest problem that I face as an elementary librarian are the displays for books. Since I am in charge of everything, it is difficult to find time to re-categorize the entire library, check in and check out books, plus put them away, and a whole bunch of other tasks. I find it difficult to continually update the displays and find new and creative ways to do that. But I think that is a successful job to promote the library. Library displays should be updated every month - or every two weeks if that is possible. There is nothing more disappointing than going to the library to find a new book and realizing you have seen those sets of books two or more weeks in a row. The library displays need to be consistently changed and rearranged. Patrons won’t take the time to look at the displays if they know what is already there. There should be two or three displays in the adult fiction section, showcasing books from a different genre, a cultural event, or a connection to the media.

Another big issue that I find with public libraries today is the access to computers and quick information. At my public library, there is infostation access. Users have to “log on” and then wait for the user account to log in and update. I find it time-consuming. I have to click a button to “log in,” and then the computer loads for about 1-3 minutes. After it has finished loading, I have to click on Firefox and then the card catalog comes up. It’s not user-friendly and I find it easier to just look up on my phone. In order to make the fiction section more marketable, a few changes have to be made with the infostation access. The computers need to be updated and shouldn’t require an excessive amount of time to log in. When the login is complete, two tabs should be opened: the library catalog screen and GoodReads. Nancy K. Herther writes about GoodReads in her article, stating that Goodreads is “the most comprehensive database of quality book reviews on the planet” (2013, pg. 39). Herther goes on further to explain the qualities of Goodreads, providing great book reviews, recommendations, and connecting people socially. This would be a great place for patrons to check out new books and find recommendations without even consulting a librarian. If the library has a service to NoveList, they may also substitute that webpage for Goodreads. Without the social media connection, NoveList would be a great way for patrons to find books as well. Also, it has a link to connect the public library’s record of the books.

These are just a few ways in which the library can market their adult fiction section better. It’s important to serve the public and show that we are here to assist them in whatever way they need. I think that establishing new signs throughout the library, changing the displays frequently, and providing quick and reliable Info Station access.

Resources
Herther, N. K. (2013). Good reads. Online Searcher, 37(4), 38-41.
Saricks, J. (2005) Promoting and marketing readers’ advisory collections and services. In Readers’ Advisory Service in the Public Library. Chicago: ALA. 136-160.

Comments

  1. Paige,
    I love your comparisons between the elementary school library and your public library. My youngest is in second grade, and have had years of experience with my kids' school library, but, haven't spent substantial time exploring the stacks. I do know, however, that our elementary library relies heavily on parent volunteers to shelve books, hopefully giving the librarian more time to create her ideal elementary library space. What if you have a Teachers Choose display, highlighting one class and their top reads? It could be a rotating display, or classes could "win" space on the board for reading X amount of books, etc.....just some brain storming...but, maybe involving the teachers and students to help create the display contents would not only provide you with assistance, but also get the kids, school wide, excited to see what other classes are reading.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! Those are great ideas! I certainly will take them into account when thinking of the library set-up for next year! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Changing up displays are a must. Like you said if you don't people stop looking at them. Signage is really important to. We moved are library around almost a year ago and change the signs so that they were easier to read. Well most patrons still don't look at the signs it is nice that they are readable and updated. We have computer catalog station that are just for searching the catalog. You only have to log in if you want to place an item on hold. I find it weird that a library wouldn't have at least one computer set up just for the catalog. It would be very ignoring if I had to log in ever time I wanted to look up a book. That is a good point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Paige, I thought it was interesting that you and I both keyed in on signage as being very important in marketing the fiction collection. I had a few more observations I was going to make in my post, but it was getting kind of long so I demurred. You point out that signage must be "clear and lead patrons to the proper information" and I agree. Actually, I'm of the "more is better" philosophy. I don't think you can have enough signage! Like you, I thought some of Sarick's ideas (like the Find a Good Book Here sign) are fun and eye-catching.

    I can imagine in your situation being the only one doing everything makes it tough to create a variety of displays! I mentioned in my post that the library where I intern, the main lobby display rotates every week so each librarian only has to do one every other month or so. Certainly that's a luxury many libraries don't have so smaller displays of just a few books would be more practical and easily managed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cristi, thank you for your thoughts! Even though displays are super helpful, it is difficult to change them frequently.

      Delete
  4. I appreciate that you mention ease of access to the online catalog, and goodreads/novelist. My library utilizes touchscreen computer for this, so you don't need to log on which is nice, but a lot of people are really uncomfortable using them as it's not as smooth-going as a touch screen on a smartphone. A lot of times the screens won't pop up right, or the text doesn't go in the right search bar. Most people would rather log on to one of the computer workstations and find books that way, because it's simply easier. I also like the idea of adding the novelist/goodreads tab! I'd never thought of that. Combining that with a more intuitive computer setup would probably help the station get more use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the fact that your computer is easy to log into, but it must be difficult when the touchscreen doesn't work properly. Thank you for your thoughts Malissa!

      Delete
  5. Thank you! YA loses interest very quickly, so these changing displays would help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful ideas! I can't agree more that displays need to be kept fresh! Full points!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts